January 24, 2017 -

Despite popular belief a couple cannot get an annulment because their marriage was short. To get an annulment, a party must prove that the marriage is “void” or “voidable”.


Your marriage is void if, one of the parties is already married to someone else or you married a close relative or close relative by marriage. A marriage is voidable if: for example, one of the spouses did not have the mental capacity to consent to the marriage at the time or one of the spouses was not old enough to get married. If one spouse has requested an annulment because the marriage is voidable, and the other spouse does not want their marriage annulled, he/she can request to affirm the marriage.